Monday, December 21, 2009

Runner Rage


Over the weekend I wrote a post about how runners can stay safe from crazy drivers. Specifically, I wrote, "As difficult as it may be to count your blessings and continue running without taking out your anger, avoiding confrontation is the safest and smartest choice."

I have to admit - I don't always follow this advice. When cars drive to close to me on the road or carelessly drive through intersections, I usually let them know how I feel. I don't really like to give them the finger, because that can make some people really upset, but I often throw my hands in the air to say, "what are you doing! Watch out, I'm trying to run here!"

What drivers don't realize is that runners are out there in the zone. Even though we are on roads, we're wondering in our minds, enjoying our free time to workout and be at peace. Therefore, when someone disrupts that peace of mind we get upset - very upset.

During my college days our cross-country team has had many experiences with bad drivers. Some people have almost hit us, and we let them know. There were a lot of fingers, even more hands in the air, and even a couple fists against the car. There were some other drivers who thought it would be cool to call us names when they drove by. When we caught up to them it was always payback.

What I'm trying to say is that Runner Rage is something real, and it's not going to stop. It's just a matter of controlling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment