Friday, March 8, 2013

ING Miami Half Marathon Recap

Since my grandfather lives in Miami, we decided to head down in January for a visit - which timed really nicely with the ING Miami Half Marathon (not a coincidence).

The day before the race we woke up and went for a run along the water. It was pretty and warm, but all concrete and didn't have the beauty that many other cities have. We then went to the expo to grab out numbers, before spending the day with family.

The race starts really early in the morning (6:15am). This is actually a blessing because it was really hot there, and as soon as the sun came up (around mile 4) we could really feel the heat. The race starts and ends near American Airlines Arena, and the course goes over a bridge to Miami Beach, through the area, then back over a different bridge.

The start of the race was horrendous - probably the worst I've ever experienced. I don't know what method they used to line people up, but I was put in the third coral and spent the first two miles pushing past people and running sideways more than forward, to pass people who were already walking or going really slow. After finally making through all of that, I got in a grove and enjoyed the run - which I was treating as a tempo. The fan support was ok and the course was decent, but not anything I was amazed by. The last couple miles go through the city and there's not too much build-up until you turn the corner and see the finish line.

I was glad I did the race, but wouldn't do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment