Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Incorrect Assumptions in The Wall Street Journal's Anti-Runner Column

Last week Chat Stafko, a writer living in Freeburg, Ill., wrote an anti-runner article for The Wall Street Journal that put down runners in every possible way. The piece, "Ok, You're a Runner. Get Over It,"was full of confused and incorrect statements, so much that while reading the article aloud to my wife, I couldn't help but laugh and chuckle at several of the points he was trying to make.

I don't usually like to focus on these types of people in this blog, but I wanted to clarify a few things.

Chad writes, There is only one reason running aficionados display the stickers. They want the rest of us to know about their long-distance feats. So let me be the first to offer my hearty congratulations. I'd even offer to give them a pat on the back—once they're done doing it themselves.

I have a 26.2 sticker on my car, which I put on the bumper six years after running my first full marathon. But I didn't do it to brag. I put it on there after the 2013 Boston Marathon because I wanted to show support for the marathon. I'm sure there are lots of runners who put the stickers on to share their experience as well - not everyone is trying to brag.

Chad writes, Or these runners, when they're not running, can go shopping—at a running store. There's one such store less than 15 miles, or better said, just a bit over a half-marathon, from my house. It sells only running equipment and apparel. The store has been in business several years, so apparently it is making money. This "equipment," of course, is nothing but shoes and clothes. You can buy these same shoes at a sporting-goods store or online, probably for much less.

Running stories don't just have clothes and shoes, there's ton of other random items that are important. And besides, you can order anything online, but stores exist to people can buy things in person. And lots of people go to stores.

Chad writes, Why would someone want to get up at 5 a.m. and run 10 miles adorned with fluorescent tape to avoid being struck by someone who has the good sense to use a car for a 10-mile journey? I have a theory. There is no more visible form of strenuous exercise than running. When runners are dashing down a street in the middle of town or through a subdivision, they know that every driver, every pedestrian, every leaf-raker and every person idly staring out a window can see them.

This was the first time I laughed while reading this. People run because they want to be in shape and exercise. And if you ask any runner, every person will say they'd rather run down an empty road or peaceful trail than on a busy road. However, not every runner has access to those types of areas and if it's dark, that can be really unsafe. Fluorescent colors are used so we don't get hit by a car!

Chad writes, Many of my friends who regularly run have done so for years, decades before there was a thing called social media to put humanity's self-absorption in overdrive. These folks also tend to be infatuated with fitness anyway. If they're not out on the streets showing the sedentary world how it's done, they're at the gym or in a spinning class.

Again, I laughed here. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only runner who hates - despises - the treadmill. Why would I want to workout inside when I can get some fresh air and enjoy the spring flowers, fall colors or a beautiful day in this world? Seriously Chad, even you must know that statement is crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment